While Los Angeles Rams fans enjoy their team’s first Super Bowl victory, sports followers in Michigan can turn their attention to the next big thing.
Actually, there are multiple big things coming up, and now’s the time for Michigan sports bettors to turn their attention to sports other than football. Here is a closer look at the bigger events on the sports calendar.
If you’re new to sports betting in Michigan, you can claim promo offers and sign-up bonuses from seven sportsbooks.
Men’s Tournament begins March 15
To many, March Madness is the most enjoyable sporting event of the year. How can you surpass the excitement of 68 teams in a single-game elimination tournament played out across the U.S. map? Add in buzzer-beaters, screaming college students and alumni, and even cheering nuns, and you have the script for drama.
The Men’s NCAA Div. I Basketball Tournament starts March 15 with the First Four play-in games, and eventually, 67 games will be played to determine a champion in primetime on April 4. That makes for three weeks of college hoops action to enjoy and to bet on.
Current Favorites (Odds from Caesars Michigan Sportsbook)
- Gonzaga: +500
- Auburn: +900
- Kentucky: +1000
- Arizona: +1100
- Purdue: +1100
- Michigan State Spartans: Some experts are projecting the Spartans as high as a No. 3 seed in the NCAA Tournament. Coach Tom Izzo has another team with a foundation of defense that could make a deep run. MSU’s odds to win the national title are +5000 at Caesars Sportsbook.
- Michigan Wolverines: Coach Juwan Howard’s team rests on the bubble for a spot in the field of 68, but an unexpected rout of Nol 3-ranked Purdue last week will help U-M’s chances to get into the tourney. Caesars Sportsbook has the Wolverines listed at +8000 to cut down the nets on the final night of the season.
Where is the money going?: Michigan sports betting tax revenue use under review
Women’s Tournament begins March 16
It seems like forever since the Huskies of Connecticut won a title (it last happened in 2016), but seeing as how coach Geno Auriemma usually makes the tournament a walkover, it’s surprising. UConn is currently ranked No. 8.
Current Favorites (Odds from FanDuel Michigan)
- South Carolina: +200
- Connecticut: +500
- Stanford: +600
- North Carolina State: +800
- Louisville: +1400
- Michigan Wolverines: U-M drifted as high as No. 3 in the rankings this season, but recently suffered back-to-back losses to MSU and Northwestern. It’s hard to tell what the Wolverines have in the tank for a tourney run. Michigan has only once advanced as far as the Sweet Sixteen, and that was last season. The Wolverines are +3000 to win the tournament at FanDuel.
- Michigan State Spartans: At 13-11, the Spartans are probably a low seed for the tourney, and they’ve been inconsistent since a hot stretch in December. Coach Suzy Merchant preaches quick, steady guard play, but her team is overmatched inside. FanDuel lists MSU’s title odds at +50,000.
For online casino lovers: Stars Casino Michigan offering blackjack insurance in February
The Masters Tournament
Last year, Jon Rahm became the first Spanish golfer to win the U.S. Open. This season the man they call ‘Rahmbo” is the favorite to grab a green jacket at Augusta. Following his long recovery from a serious car accident in 2021, Tiger Woods’s status for the Masters or other golf majors is uncertain.
Current Favorites (Odds from DraftKings Michigan)
- Jon Rahm +750
- Jordan Spieth +1000
- Dustin Johnson +1100
- Collin Morikawa +1200
- Justin Thomas +1200
- Rory McIlroy +1400
Others of Note:
- Tiger Woods +4000
- Bubba Watson +6500
- Rickie Fowler +6500
- Phil Mickelson +8000
Free money for slots: Claim $140 free with Michigan online casino no-deposit bonuses
Play-In Tournament begins April 12
About seven weeks remain in the NBA regular season, and no clear favorite has emerged to win the championship. Many top teams are jostling for position and/or making moves at the trade deadline to bolster their rosters. The Pistons have lost 11 of their last 12 games and are hopelessly out of the playoff race.
Current Favorites to Win NBA Finals (Odds from BetMGM Michigan)
- Brooklyn Nets +450
- Golden State Warriors +450
- Phoenix Suns +450
- Milwaukee Bucks +650
- Philadelphia 76ers +700
It used to be said that “the sun never sets on the British empire.” It can now be said that “the headlines never cease for the NFL.” The most popular sport in the U.S. will be front and center in late April for its three-day unveiling of the next gridiron stars.
First Overall Pick (odds courtesy of BetMGM Michigan)
- Aidan Hutchinson +165
- Evan Neal +175
- Kayvon Thibodeaux +350
- Ikem Ekwonu +400
Hutchinson, the former Wolverines defensive end, is projected to go No. 1 overall to the dysfunctional Jaguars, but if Jacksonville turns elsewhere (like Alabama offensive tackle Evan Neal), the Detroit Lions will be prepared to pounce on Hutchinson with the No. 2 overall pick.
Road to the Stanley Cup begins May 2
Think the Tampa Bay Lightning can win a third consecutive Cup? A $100 futures bet will get you $750 if they do.
Current Favorites to Win Stanley Cup (Odds from DraftKings Michigan)
- Colorado Avalanche +475
- Tampa Bay Lightning +700
- Florida Panthers +700
- Vegas Golden Knights +800
- Toronto Maple Leafs +800