FanDuel is a daily fantasy sports and sports betting provider based in New York City. It was founded in 2009 and is currently the second-largest fantasy sports service in the U.S., falling only after DraftKings in terms of its user base and entry fees. The service has over six million members and is owned by Flutter Entertainment.
Toward the end of 2016, FanDuel and DraftKings agreed to a merger, but the Federal Trade Commission threatened legal action, claiming the merger would lead to a monopoly, which led to the agreement being terminated in 2017.
Irish sports betting company Paddy Power Betfair acquired FanDuel and merged it into their existing operations in the U.S. under the name of FanDuel Group. Paddy Power Betfair changed its name to Flutter Entertainment and has sought to use the FanDuel acquisition to access its large existing base of users and its brand recognition to more easily enter the sports betting market in America.
When Will FanDuel Launch In Michigan?
FanDuel has many successful retail and online locations in various states and has already introduced a brick-and-mortar location in Michigan at MotorCity Casino with many high-definition televisions, six betting windows, a VIP area, and self-service betting kiosks.
There is no specific launch date that has been provided for online sports betting at FanDuel or other services. However, it’s believed that the rules and regulations for these services will be finalized by the start of 2021, meaning these websites and apps will be available soon after. An official date will likely come out at some point to answer this question.
See our comprehensive Guide To Online Sports Betting In Michigan.
FanDuel Sportsbook Michigan Promo Code
While the specifics of the promotional codes that will be available for Michigan aren’t yet known, if they are similar to other states that offer FanDuel, there are going to be several of them. For instance, in Pennsylvania, the company offers a few different options that let you get started with perks like free bets or bonuses on your deposit.
New players to Fanduel Sportsbook can take advantage of a risk-free bet of up to $500.
The way this works is that whatever amount you wager on a first bet up to $500 is essentially “safe.” If you win the bet, nothing happens other than having additional money that you can withdraw. However, if you end up losing, you’ll be given credits in the amount of your bet that can be used to make new bets.
However, there may be special options available for Michigan residents when the service launches, so nothing is set in stone at this time.
Who Is FanDuel Partnered With In Michigan?
FanDuel’s partnership with MotorCity Casino applies in both the retail establishment and for any online apps and websites that come in the future. It is expected that, in addition to the retail sportsbook, FanDuel will also offer an online sportsbook and online casino in the future. However, as we mentioned earlier, these things cannot launch until early 2021 or whenever rules and regulations related to online sports betting are solidified and known.
With a significant market share in New Jersey and Pennsylvania, FanDuel hopes to establish itself early and heavily in Michigan’s sports betting market. Some of the other operators of sports betting online services that will be introduced in Michigan include FoxBet, William Hill, PointsBet, and others. In July 2020, PointsBet announced an exclusive partnership with the Detroit Tigers, a first in the industry. Because there are limited partners to work with, other services may need to work with tribal casinos to find a partner for sports betting.
Any company wishing to offer sports betting services in the state has to be partnered with a local casino to do business. There are plenty who are interested due to the tax-friendly rates for these services and how expanded the gambling market will become in 2021 when online options are introduced.
Where Else Does FanDuel Operate?
There are several states where FanDuel is already operating and others where it plans to in the future. When it comes to online sports betting, FanDuel is offered in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, and Indiana. There are also retail locations in Iowa and New York that do not yet provide the option to make wagers online.
- Indiana – FanDuel and DraftKings are the two largest providers of sports betting online for individuals who are in Indiana. It is operated in partnership with Ameristar East Chicago and has been in place since October 2019.
- New Jersey – There are a huge number of sportsbooks available in New Jersey, but FanDuel is one of the most popular. It has partnered with Meadowlands and been offering online sports wagering since September 2018.
- Pennsylvania – FanDuel is also well represented in Pennsylvania and makes up a significant amount of revenues for the state in this industry. It is partnered with Valley Forge and has been available for use since July 2019.
- West Virginia – There are only a few online sportsbooks in West Virginia, and FanDuel is one of the most prominent alongside DraftKings and BetMGM. FanDuel has partnered with the Greenbrier and has been operating since August 2019.
- Colorado – FanDuel Sportsbook launched in Colorado on May 1, 2020, the same day the state launched legal sports betting. It’s partnered with the Golden Gates Casino in Black Hawk.
How To Sign Up At FanDuel Sportsbook
Signing up at FanDuel is a relatively simple proposition that we’ll outline below so you can follow along.
- Visit FanDuel.com and fill out information about your name, email address, desire user name, and password. There is also a space where you can type in a promo code or a referral username if you have one.
- You’ll be moved to a second page where you can make your initial deposit and receive the appropriate bonus for doing so. Keep in mind that the deposit bonus with FanDuel is something that unlocks over time as you use the site.
- After your funds have been added, you’ll be moved to the FanDuel lobby, where you can see all the matches, leagues, tournaments, and more. A buy-in slider can be found on the page if you want to try the free games before using your cash.
Major Features Of FanDuel Sportsbook
Of course, every sports betting service has similarities, but each of them has unique features, as well. We want to share a few of the most prominent features to be aware of with FanDuel so you can decide if it’s the right platform for you.
- FanDuel offers one of the best sportsbook interfaces available due to its many years in the business and access to the top technology. It’s easy to use for someone who is new to sports betting, but you can also delve deeper and find many options for those who have been using the website or mobile apps for years.
- There are also a considerable number of bet types for every sport that FanDuel offers. A few of the options that you will find include spread bets, moneyline bets, total score bets, tri-bets, and winning margin bets. There are dozens of choices so you can tailor your use of FanDuel to your tastes and style.
- Many different options are available at FanDuel for depositing and withdrawing your money. Deposits can be made by credit cards, debit cards, prepaid cards, eChecks, PayPal, bank transfers, and more. There are also a handful of choices for withdrawing your winnings.
What Sports Can You Bet On At FanDuel?
FanDuel offers a large number of sports that can be wagered on, including those that are the most popular in the U.S., as well as lesser-known international sports. Some of the options available through the FanDuel website and app are the following:
- Auto Racing – One of the sports available through FanDuel is auto racing, including the most popular races of all through NASCAR.
- Baseball – This service offers MLB sports wagering as well as betting on minor league sports and includes the world series in their betting offerings. This also includes betting on the Detroit Tigers.
- Basketball – FanDuel lets you wager on NBA basketball games, as well as games by the WNBA and Euro Basketball matches. This includes betting on the Detroit Pistons.
- Boxing – When it comes to boxing, FanDuel has betting options on traditional boxing, IBF, WBA, WBO, and WBC matches.
- Football – American football can be wagered on through the NFL (including the Lions), the CFL, and other special leagues, depending on your preferences.
- Golf – Some of the golf options available at FanDuel include the U.S. Tour, the European Tour, and the Ryder Cup.
- Hockey – If you’re a fan of hockey, you can wager on games in the NHL, AHL, and even the Stanley Cup using FanDuel. This includes placing wagers on the Detroit Red Wings.
- MMA – Various MMA matches are available on FanDuel, and you can easily wager on who you think will win and how they will win a match.
- Soccer – Several soccer leagues can be wagered on using FanDuel, such as the MLS, the European League, and the American League Cup.
- Tennis – When it comes to tennis, FanDuel has options with the ATP, WTA, Wimbledon, and the French Open.
See our full guide to What Can You Bet On In Michigan.
FanDuel Sportsbook Michigan Mobile App
FanDuel offers a mobile app that makes it even easier to wager on games and matches on the go. The app is available on both Android and iOS devices, including phones and tablets. The Android app can be downloaded straight from Google Play, while Apple users can visit the App Store to get access to the application.
This app lets you legally bet on your favorite sports, whether those include baseball and golf or tennis and soccer. The sports betting apps are streamlined and simple to use, with most of the same features as the desktop version of FanDuel.
Sample Promotions At FanDuel Sportsbook
There are always some interesting promotions going on at FanDuel, and they change depending on what sports are in season. As an example of what you can expect, one of the new player promos that has been offered in some states is a free, risk-free day where you can make bets without worrying about losing money.
Also, new users to the FanDuel service can enjoy a free, risk-free bet of up to $500 to avoid losing money when starting. If you lose the game you bet on; you’ll receive site credit in the amount of the loss as long as it doesn’t exceed $500.
FanDuel Michigan FAQ
Can you bet on esports in Michigan using FanDuel?
Yes! With the new rules and the expansion to gambling in Michigan, betting on esports is allowed and available in some retail establishments. It’s expected that when online sports betting and gambling are solidified, online esports betting will also be a popular gaming option in the state.
How old do you have to be to make online bets at FanDuel in Michigan?
When using FanDuel for sports betting, individuals will likely need to be 18 years old. This is different from sports betting at retail sportsbooks, which require you to be at least 21 years of age. While new rules may make online wagering require you to be 21, it’s not seen as likely at this point.
What is the top way to make deposits at FanDuel in Michigan?
Most people choose to use their credit card to make deposits. However, you can also use PayPal to make a deposit on the website, which is nearly as popular as using a card. The site and app also allow deposits through eChecks, prepaid cards, bank transfers, and other methods.
Is it legal to bet on sports online in Michigan using FanDuel?
Yes. It has now become legal to bet on sports online in Michigan, but rules and regulations are still being drawn up, so you will need to have some patience. FanDuel is one of the major sportsbooks that will be offering sports wagering in 2021 when everything comes together.
How many different sports does FanDuel allow you to bet on?
Around 10. Almost every popular United States sport is offered through FanDuel, including baseball, basketball, football, and hockey. Other sports you can bet on through the service are tennis, soccer, boxing, MMA, golf, and auto racing.
Is FanDuel licensed in Michigan?
Yes. FanDuel has partnered with MotorCity Casino in Detroit and will be using its casino and sports betting license to offer online legal sports betting. This casino also offers a retail FanDuel sportsbook for those who prefer to visit the casino itself.